Monday, November 22, 2010

Can I be one such?: Gita & God 40

They read Gita. They discuss Gita and they quote from Gita. Many try to practice Gita in life. For me the point is Can I practice Gita and test Gita? My hypotheses are: (a) One can practice Gita every moment of life through practice and (b)One gets what Gita promises, Salvation or permanent and unceasing happiness if one succeeds in pracising Gita. But how do I test these hypothses and prove to myself if the hypotheses are Tur of False? The most appealing method is by just citing an example that I have experienced. How do I obtain such an example? The best example that I can consider is to experiement with myself.

1. Can I go on doing whatever I happen to do without desiring any benefit / fruit from whatever I do? Can I be in complete renouciation and yet be in all kinds of action that I undertake or happen to undertake?
2. Can I make my mind totally unperturbed and perfectly serene in the midst of all kinds of and pairs of commonly regarded opposites, such as cold and heat,
favorable and unfavorable, joy and sorrow, honor and dishonor, plearure and pain, success and failure? Rather, can I lose all sense of good or bad, favourable and unfavourable or such other distinctions and comparisons and percieve all happenings as equally value-free?
3. Can I cease to have any attachment, either for the objects of senses or for the actions and lose all sense of gross or subtle desires?
4. Can I perceive every one and every thing as the expression of the Same - all sourced in the One even as I go on contemplating and performing actions that I happen to perform without any desire whatsoever for fulfilling any selfish or selfless objective or goal?
5. Can I do all the above even forgetting and renouncing the objective of hypotheses testing that I had initially set myself on the experiment?

So far I have not been able to successfully do the experiment. But I have tested that it is possible, though that would mean that the phenomenon others describing me as mad or funny or escapist or irresonsible or fatalist or heartless or selfish or stupid or incompetent to become a humaan being would cause in me any repercusions. But that is only so far as hypothesis (a) is concerned and I can continue with my experiement so that it becomes the way of life for me. What about (b)? Unless experiment (a) is complete and I remain continously in that State that gives the answer to all the five questions as YES, I cannot conclude if I had reached the State of Salvation, though once I reach that State that is supposed to bring me Salvation, I know, I would have lost any sense of the meaning of the world/ concept of Salvation. The only thing that I can perceive now that if I were to have no desire, no attachment, no anger, no distiction among things and events as being of more or less positive or negative value and no agitation in the mind for failure or success and pleasure and pain, I shall be free from all these bondages and yet I shall be in actions that get performed by me without any direction or control by my ego, intellect, mind and senses. There would be nothing that rules my behaviour and actions now will be ruling me any longer or even if they continue to rule, I shall not be attached to or subservient to those rulers.
My experiement therefore can only be an exploration. I can only say I started off practising Gita and then I do not know what happened to my experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment